The Mel Dennis
The Melvin B. Dennis Outstanding Secretary Trophy is in memory of Melvin B. Dennis.
Selection is the responsibility of the District Secretary. The Governor may appoint a special committee to assist if desired.
Eligibility: The club secretary for the current or most recent administrative year who exemplifies and has demonstrated high expertise of office and the true spirit of Kiwanis. They must have qualified as an Outstanding Secretary.
Nomination: The club president and/or the Lt. Governor may make the nomination. Particular attention will be given to those services beyond the nominee’s administrative responsibilities that have made them Outstanding as a Club Secretary. The District maintains complete records regarding administration and the filing of reports.
Filing Deadline: Only those nominations submitted by June 1st will be considered.
Award Presentation: This award will be made at the next District Convention. The recipient’s name will be engraved on the permanent trophy kept at the District Office. A smaller replica will be given for the secretary’s personal possession.
- Attendance at: Preceding year’s District Convention; Preceding year’s Club Leadership Education; Not less than 70% of their Division Council Meetings.
- Must have kept accurate records of all club meetings and minutes of all board meetings. These are to be open to the scrutiny of the judges if requested.
- Must have qualified for the Outstanding Secretary Award in the preceding year by filing all reports indicated in that criteria by the dates shown, and earned 540 or more points for that award.
- Additional Considerations: Legibility and neatness of records and reports. Cooperation with Club, Division, and District leaders. Assistance to President in preparing board meeting agendas. Attendance at club meetings, projects, and special events. Other administrative duties or accomplishments in Kiwanis.
- If applicant has been the recipient of the Melvin B Dennis Award in the past, they are not eligible to receive it again.